Friday, April 25, 2008

Ice Cream Cake

18 Oreo cookies, crushed (happily, this leaves some to munch on while you're baking)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 gallon ice cream
2 packages German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter
ground nuts

Butter pan well. Mix cookies and butter; pat into pan. Put in refrigerator to set. Slice ice cream about one inch thick and put over crumb mixture (or let sit at room temperature for a bit to get soft, then spread over crumb mixture). Melt chocolate with sugar, milk, and butter in a heavy saucepan. Pour over ice cream while warm and put ground nuts on top. Store in the freezer.


I made this for my husband's birthday back in March, and it was so tasty I thought I'd do this every time we bought a half gallon of ice cream. Buy whatever kind you like (come on, be more adventurous than vanilla!). This is a pretty simple way to do a birthday, especially when the birthday person doesn't request a fire truck birthday cake. That'll be next month...

No comments: