Friday, September 5, 2008

French Silk Chocolate Pie


A while back, Monte was talking about one of the things he missed the most since he found out he couldn't have dairy over 5 years ago - chocolate pie. It's one of those things I just didn't think would be that great if I substituted dairy free milk, I thought it probably wouldn't set properly. I was SO excited when I found this recipe yesterday that doesn't even have milk in it. It got great reviews on allrecipes.com, and we agree, it is unbelievable!! Quite possibly the best thing I've ever eaten! It does have raw eggs in it, which freaked me out a little, but not enough to keep me from enjoying it. :)


1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
3/4 cup white sugar
2 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 pie crust *


Cream butter, gradually beat in the sugar with an electric mixer until light colored and well blended. Stir in the cooled chocolate, and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating 5 minutes on medium speed after each addition. (You must beat them for the full 5 minutes each.) Spoon the chocolate filling into a cooled, baked pie shell. Top with whipped topping and garnish with grated chocolate if desired.


*I used the following recipe for my crust.

1 and 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar.
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted

Press into 9 inch pie plate, bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely. (You can also buy pre-made graham cracker crusts, and they're really good too.)

No comments: