
This is a very autumnal recipe that we made to celebrate the Virgin Mary's birthday yesterday. My mom found the recipe and passed it on to me, knowing that I am always looking for eggless recipes. It not only accommodated the women who wanted to bake despite the rations during the war, but it also accommodates those with milk and egg allergies. Mine came out a bit dense, but I think I also overcooked it. (The frosting contains milk, but perhaps one could substitute for that.)
Spice Cake:
In a large saucepan, mix together and boil, gently, for 5 minutes:
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups hot water
2 tsp shortening
1/2 to 3/4 cup raisins or chopped dates (I left these out)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
Cool completely - very important.
When cool, add:
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda dissolved in a couple teaspoons hot water.
Mix well, pour into greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool in pan about 10 minutes and remove.
Caramel Frosting: (from Taste of Home Aug/Sept 1997)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 to 2 cups (or more) powdered sugar
Combine brown sugar, butter, and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake.
1 comment:
Yumm! I love dense cakes :-)
What a great mom you have to be looking for such yummy recipes for you!
Post a Comment