Monday, June 2, 2008

Soft Sandwich Buns


Success! After trying a recipe that totally flopped the other day, I made the BEST buns today. They are the lightest buns I've ever had. I have a really good recipe for buns, but they honestly take all day to make. So I only ever make them for special occasions. I wanted a quick recipe I could make quite often, and I finally found it. It made a pretty big batch, so I was able to freeze quite a few. I'm still on a mission to find a recipe for the perfect loaf of bread.


1 and 1/4 cups ginger ale (I had diet 7 up on hand, so that's what I used) heated to 120 degrees

1 egg (room temperature), beaten

2 Tblsp. butter or margarine, softened

1/4 cup sugar

3/4 tsp. salt

3 and 3/4 cups bread flour

1 and 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

1 Tblsp. butter or margarine, melted


In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer (mine says to put liquids in first, then dry ingredients, with yeast on the very top). Select dough setting. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion to 3/4 inch thickness; cut with biscuit cutter ( I used two sizes so I could make larger hamburger buns, and smaller dinner type rolls). Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours usually. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.


1 comment:

Brenda said...

Ooooh these look wonderful!