Monday, March 30, 2009

Chili Cornbread Pie

1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef
1 packet (1.4 oz) chili seasoning or taco seasoning mix (I made up a chili seasoning with some spices)
2 cans (8 oz each) no-salt added tomato sauce
1 can (15.25 oz) no-salt added whole-kernel corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained (I soaked and cooked dry black beans)
1 can (12 fl. oz.) Evaporated milk, divided
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies, drained (optional)
2 boxes (8.5 oz each) dry corn muffin mix
2 large eggs
Sliced avocado, salsa, and/or sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9x13 baking dish.

Cook turkey or beef in large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili seasoning, tomato sauce, corn, beans, 3/4 cup evaporated milk, and chilies. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.

Combine corn muffin mix, remaining 3/4 cup evaporated milk, and eggs in medium bowl; stir just until moistened. Spread mixture over meat filling.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Serving suggestion: serve with chopped avocado, sour cream, and salsa.


*This is a tasty dish! I don't think it would be healthy to serve this often, but it's a good potluck dish. I strongly recommend the avocado accompaniment, and next time I'd probably leave the chilies out. We might be eating this all week -- it makes 10-12 servings, and we're on night #2.

No comments: